Friday, July 22, 2011

RICA registered with no address

Do I need privacy?

Today closed off the start of a brand new season of embarrassment. I just joined the ranks of mass who cast our votes in favour of surveillance legitimised. We will have connectivity at the cost of privacy.

You have to RICA or we disconnect your phone, beams the message from the ether. And I don't know what to believe in this crazy world. That does not sound like a reasonable message to me. It is tirranically imposed! I have no say in the matter and am completely deprived my privacy. Since I had to tell the enemy I may as well tell you this tale too.

Now feel this. In my shoes for a moment. It was new years eve when I received an SMS: "Please move out of my house." Nice way to start the year. Since then I have not found permanent accommodation for various reasons and excuses including these.
Once my telecommunications service was deprived me I queried their customer service with an embarrassing email along the lines of:
"Dear Vodacom, I am jobless and homeless and unfortunately cant afford any accommodation anywhere which leaves me without an address to use to RICA with. The potential penalties for fraud in this regard dissuades me from asking a friend or family member to pretend on my behalf. What do you suggest I do?"

To which they respond to rub it in even deeper "To register, you will need to produce your name, surname, ID number and your residential address."

To which I am compelled to get even deeper into my embarrassment with "My darling, I am a bum. I do not have an address. I sleep in the forest illegally. I have no desire to let the authorities know about this because they will come and kick me out"

Finally, me swallow my pride and off to the police station to report myself to them as a bum. Just so we have it officially.



I'm mortified. A taxi to the nearest place to RICA cost R30 there and will cost the same back. R1 to the kilometre is a great exchange. But I don't have it. So I hitch there with my affidavit, simcard, ID and thank goodness for generous Zulu people in cars who got me there soon enough.


The girl who helped me was wonderful about it all. "So you have come to get your pass? It used to be only for us, now everyone must have it. Hi, hi, hi..." I am at a loss for words and just smile at her.

After all this dreadful exposure, I want my privacy back please. I want both communication and privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment :)